Thursday, January 26, 2012

Quick and easy vowel game

Some days I am just really really proud of myself :) I spent about 30 minutes on Tuesday afternoon making a vowel sound game that I found on a website... and it was time well spent! I have played this game with all of my small groups this week, from junior kindergarten to first grade!
I printed out a few sheets of pictures, all of which came from my Microsoft Word clipart. I laminated the pages, did a quick cut on the paper cutter (I love the paper cutter), and voila! Vowel game! I also created five construction paper "mats" for sorting the cards. They look like this:
One side just says the vowel...
And the other side has separate columns for long and short vowel sounds.
Once the students sort the cards, I have them sort each vowel sound into long and short. This game has been a big hit with all my students! I typically pull groups of five students, so I let each student be in charge of one vowel sound.

Okay... and now I'm less proud of myself... I thought I had saved the picture cards, but I just realized that I didn't... I was going to upload them to Scribd and share them here. Oops! If I get a spare minute, I'll go back and make new cards to share... but I pretty much just went through my clipart library, found pictures that I thought students could identify, and inserted them into a Word document (12 pictures per page.) Sorry about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment