Sunday, September 25, 2011

One of these things is not like the others...

I just had to share this story, because it is a great example of what kids can do when you let them be creative.

The other day, I took my new sea creature math manipulatives to my kindergarten math groups, and I told the kids in each group to sort their pile of animals however they wanted. There are six different colors included in the mix and about fourteen animal shapes (although I would question whether some of them are really sea creatures. Tree frogs? Penguins?) Of the 30 kindergarteners who participated, most of the kids sorted their animals by color, and a few kids figured out that they could group all of the same animals together.

During one of my groups, however, one girl was busy sorting long after the others had finished. She had been asking questions while she worked, such as what some of the animals ate, but I wasn't paying close attention. When it came time for the students to share their method of sorting, she identified her piles of animals as "meat eaters" and "scaly animals." And I had to admit that she was correct! All of the animals in the "meat eater" pile did eat meat--even the seahorse, which eats teeny tiny fish--and all of the "scaly animals" did have a rough outer covering, or at least I could see how she thought they would feel scaly (this group included the turtle, stingray, and starfish).

I just love when kids surprise me with those unexpected moments of creativity and with amazingly perceptive responses. It's so great when they can think outside the box like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment