Wednesday, February 29, 2012

More duck-themed writing

I am sorting papers right now, and I came across another stack of cute duck stories written by my first grade book club! This time, the writing assignment was, "Determine whether or not you would like to have a duck for a pet. What are the good reasons to have a pet duck? What things would be a problem with a pet duck?" As with the last stories, this writing assignment was completed after we read The Case of the Elevator Duck, by Polly Berrien Berends. I was so impressed with the details that the first graders included in their writing! Some of them gave very specific reasons as to why they would or would not want a pet duck. I think the consensus is that we would rather just visit the Peabody ducks!

"It would be cool to have a pet duck because you could put him in a bathtub and watch him swim. For me it would be espeacialy cool because I've always wanted a duck. It would not be cool because you would have to listen to a slapping noise all day. You couldn't get to bed because they make this ridicolus quacking noise. If my parents would let me get one I would name him Easter like Gilbert."

"I would not like a pet duck. I would like a pet duck cause duck's feathers look pretty cool. I would also like a pet duck cause their orange feet. But I don't want a pet duck cause it's a pet! It might not be too smart. It not might be good to sleep with. We would have to pick up its...... I'm not going to say it."

"I wouldn't like to have a pet duck because it might peck you at midnight when you are asleep. I wouldn't have a pet duck because it would tear your clothes up. I would like to have a pet duck because you can put it in the bathtub and watch him swim. I would like to have a pet duck because it might be nice, and its feathers are very soft. I wouldn't want a pet duck because there would be a ridiculous slapping sound so you can't go to bed."

"I wouldn't like to have a pet duck, because I'd have to clean up his mess. Also because I'd have to make a bath for it. A few reasons to have a pet duck are you don't have to get a leash. Also it would eat all of your bugs. So there are also good reasons to have a pet duck."

"It would be a good idea to have a pet duck because you could cary a duck and the duck couldn't hurt you. Also it would be a good idea to have a duck because they look sweet. It wouldn't be a good idea to have a duck because it would wonder off and break everything. And it would also not be a good idea to have a pet duck because they would peck at everything. I can't decide which one!"

"I would like to have a duck as a pet because you would be more popular. Also ducks are cool. I would not want to have a duck as a pet because it would get annoying when he keeps quacking. Also it would get durty. But for right now I think I'm happy with a dog for now!"

"I wouldn't want to have a pet duck because they poop everywhere. Also they rip up blankets that you really love. But I would want to have one because if birds were eating your corn the duck will chase them away. Also he will play with you in the pool. He wouldn't be a good pet because he would eat your homework."

"I wouldn't want a pet duck. I would not want a pet duck because it's too much work. I also don't want a pet duck because if you have a baby in the house the pet duck will wake the baby up. A good reason I would want a pet duck is that if you have leftover food the pet duck could eat it."

"I do not want a pet duck because when I was 5 years old I got bit by a duck. A duck would be a good pet because if you lived in a hotel and you can't have a pet and you had a pet duck that is quiet you would be safe. A duck would be good for a pet because if that duck didn't poke you, you would feel fine. A duck would not be a good pet because it would poke you a lot. A duck would not be a good pet because if you train him but he does the opposite of everything you tell him."

"I would like to have a duck for a pet because he would replace you for taking a bath/or shower. I would like to have a pet duck (also) because the duck would be very soft and you could make him/or her a fort. The bad thing is the duck would chew up your things. The other bad thing is that you would have to keep up with him (or her)! It would be awesome to have a pet duck."

"I wouldn't want a duck. I would want a duck because it might be fun to play with. A duck might be a good pet because it problay wouldn't bite. I wouldn't want a duck for a pet because it might scare my kittens. I wouldn't want a duck for a pet because my brother is allergic to feathers."

"I won't want to have a pet duck because they pee everywhere. I also wouldn't want one because they could tear up your shoes. One reason you might want a pet duck is they're animals that sit around and swim all day. You also might want a pet duck because they are probaly really nice. Ducks are annoying when they quack!"

No comments:

Post a Comment